Westside volleyball finishes as state runner-up

November 6, 2022

The volleyball team finished their season as the state runner-up in a competitive match against Papillion-LaVista South on Saturday, Nov. 5. The Warriors lost the championship match 25-23, 20-25, 25-15 and 25-17 at the Bob Devaney Sports Center. Westside made their first appearance in the finals since 1985. 

“The history, just being in the championship match. How we were 14 strong, they deserved to be in this place,” head coach Korrine Bowers. ”Getting to this match tonight was all about enjoying the moment and playing for each other. We have a Westside culture now within volleyball. Whether we have a banner or a spotlight in our gym It’s pretty apparent that people know we’re on the map. I’m proud of these girls regardless of if they made history or not. These girls will go down in history and always hold a very special place in my heart. I’m so proud of them and what they accomplished this year. These six seniors, what a run. They were the heart and soul of this team and I’m a very proud coach right now.” 

The Warriors opened the state tournament at the Pinnacle Bank Arena with a win over the No. 6 seed Gretna 20-25,25-23, 25-19 and 25-22. Then Westside swept the No. 2 seed Lincoln Southwest 27-25, 25-19, and 25-19. The Warriors had been tied in the first set multiple times against Lincoln Southwest, but a net violation by Southwest and a kill from Destiny Ndam-Simpson ended the set. The Warriors had a clear lead through the second set, but Southwest kept the game close through the third set. The Warriors held on and won on a kill by junior Isabella Lamb. After a loss in the finals, the Warriors finished with a record of 30-9.

“For these girls, for Westside, it meant a whole lot to the Westside community, to the program.” Bowers said, “To these girls, it’s the future. What does the future hold for Westside. If i’m a junior, sophomore, or freshman, i’m thinking that I don’t wanna be in this place again next year. I don’t wanna lose in this match again next year. What do I need to do in the offseason to prepare? I look at Papio South and the talent they have, they’ve built this culture and been in this position before. This is our first time here. We need to build and continue to build. This is our first time and this is my fifth year. We’re making our way. This year is another stepping stone for that. For young kids, they need to look at these girls as role models. For these girls, they’re probably not happy, they need to take it easy, do some reflecting, and think about the season.”

Bowers has a lot to be proud of for her team, as two of the team’s six seniors made the all-state tournament team. Creighton recruit Destiny Ndam-Simpson and South Dakota recruit Samantha Laird were honored by the Omaha World-Herald. Laird will be going on to play at the next level, but she has high expectations for the years to come for the Warriors. 

“I think the experience will help the team grow for next year,” Laird said, “ we have eight people returning and I think experience will help them and the people coming up from JV. So that experience will help the team grow.”

This was the second year in a row that the Warriors made it to the state tournament and their 17th appearance. The Warriors have eight returning players on their varsity team, and although some of their better players graduated, the Warriors have high hopes for the seasons to come. The future looks bright for the Warriors after setting a school record for the most wins in a season with 30.