Wrestlers medal at preseason nationals

November 4, 2022

Two Westside wrestlers took medals at the Brian Keck Memorial Preseason National Wrestling Championships in Des Moines on Sunday, Oct. 30. Sophomore Zoey Barber placed third in the 138 lbs. weight class. Junior Regan Rosseter finished in sixth place in the 127 lbs. weight class. Both wrestlers received All-American status. 

The national competitions are ways wrestlers show off talent by competing against other wrestlers from all over the country. College recruiters want to check out the best high school wrestlers. 

“It feels good to show my wrestling talent at a national level and I also felt really good about how the tournament went so early in the season,” Barber said. “It’s always nice to get recognition for your hard work because that means girls wrestling is growing and more people are becoming interested in the sport. 

The experience of national wrestling tournaments is unlike any other. Wrestlers compete against others from schools all over the nation. Wrestlers know little about their opponents going in. All the unknowns and nerves for many wrestlers, just help them improve and learn more. 

“Colleges being around watching your matches, placing at nationals, just getting better is what it’s about,” Rosseter said.

Barber and Rosseter are some of the best wrestlers in Nebraska. Last February Rosseter won the state title at 126 lbs. and finished with a perfect record of 42-0. The Westside junior is ranked 13th nationally by USA wrestling. Barber also won her weight class at  the state championships. Both are ranked number one in their weight class this year by the Nebraska high school wrestling coaches, with the team ranked number two. 

“It feels pretty good getting national recognition, knowing I am up there with other girls. I am ranked 13th in the country by USA wrestling,” Rosseter said. 

The wrestlers have high hopes for their upcoming high school season, after their great performances at nationals. Rosseter and Barber hope to continue to get better and win another state title.

“My hopes for this season for myself and my team is that I hope we all go out and show off our hard work and how much our sport deserves the hype it’s getting,” Barber said. 

“My goals for the season, go undefeated, win state, and get a team state title,” Rosseter said.

Both wrestlers still have several years in their high school career and reaching an All- American status and placing at nationals is all a part of their journey. Both wrestlers look to continue their success next February at the NSAA State High School Wrestling Championships in Omaha.