Venue Change: Football team defeats Kearney on Papio South’s turf

October 11, 2022

The Westside football team took care of Kearney in the Homecoming game by a score of 42-14 on Friday, Oct.7.

Despite having to move locations in the third quarter in order to finish the game, the Warriors didn’t miss a beat, rushing for a total of 369 yards. The junior duo of quarterback Anthony Rezac and running back Jahmez Ross accounted for 297 yards on the ground.

“Everybody came prepared knowing Kearney was going to be tough,” Rezac said. “Big shoutout to the offensive line, they balled out tonight.”

Rezac reached the end zone three times on the ground, adding two through the air. On the other side of Rezac, Ross tore it up from the backfield. Coming back from injury, he rushed for 154 yards on 20 attempts, scoring two total touchdowns (one on the ground, one through the air). 

“It felt good coming back off of the ankle injury and having a bounce back game as a team,” Ross said. “It was the hard week of practice that really got us ready and motivated for this game.”

It wasn’t your ordinary Friday night game, with the game having been moved due to precautionary reasons at Phelps Field. The players had to take their own transportation to Papillion-LaVista South high school, a scene that’s hardly ever happened before. Westside head coach Paul Limongi was pleased with the smooth transition. 

“I want to give a big thank you to our administrative staff and Dr. Lucas for getting everything lined up within a matter of minutes,” Limongi said. “Our kids responded and our parents responded by showing up and helping get the job done.”

A true effort by all those who are a part of Westside, this game means a lot to Limongi.

“I’m really proud of everybody in Westside,” Limongi said. “This is more than a team win tonight, this was a district win.”

Westside will host Millard South at home this Thursday, looking to carry this momentum forward.