Laird has special senior volleyball season

October 6, 2022

Lylah Wheeler

Samantha Laird is honored at senior night with her parents.

The Westside volleyball team is full of talent on both sides of the ball, but one player has been standing out throughout this season. Outside hitter Samantha Laird ranks sixth in Class A in hitting percentage, and plays well above the national average in kills. Laird’s improvement during the offseason has been a big step for her, but it hasn’t all been on the court.

“I think just focusing not just on what I’m doing on the court, but preparing for games with nutrition and a mental aspect,” Laird said. “So, I think I just put a big focus on that and getting good connections with my teammates to help me play better.”

Last year Laird earned second-team All-Metro Conference honors as a junior. Westside assistant coach Krista Filipi said Laird’s high level of play was expected for her senior season.

“One hundred percent expected,” Filipi said. “She dominated last year, she’s a terminator, she’s a great offensive player, I have 100 percent expected her to be this awesome this year.”

Volleyball has always been a part of Laird’s life, but her parents were swimmers. The Westside senior has loved volleyball from the moment she started playing it, and her love for the game shows with her high level of play.

“I started playing when I was 6.” Laird said. “But I also played tennis and did swimming. I always just loved volleyball a lot more than these things. My mom and dad swam during college and high school, so that’s why I was into that. But none of my family played volleyball so I don’t really know how I got into it, but I’ve always loved it.”

Laird has helped the Warriors to a 13-5 record this season and a top ten ranking. Laird is also a co-captain on the team, and with that role, leadership is expected on the court.

“Samantha is a quiet kid,” Filipi said. “So she’s more of a lead by example than someone who’s going to lead verbally. Her work ethic is what kind of guides the younger girls.”

Laird is an important piece to the Westside offense, and with the injuries plaguing the team at the moment, her high level of play is important to the team’s success this season. 

“Samantha is crucial to our offense,” FIlipi said. “She takes care of the ball better than anyone on the team. She has a really high swinging and percentage rate, she’s probably leading our team in kills right now.”Laird’s been playing with a hurt shoulder for the better part of the season, so it’s very impressive to see how she’s been playing so well. She’s been playing very well this season and this last game against Gretna shows it. Laird put up very impressive stats on the way to a comeback Warrior win.”

Laird led Westside to a five-set comeback victory over fourth-ranked Gretna on Tuesday, Oct. 4. The win boosted the Warriors to sixth place in the Class A wild-card standings. Laird has already accepted a volleyball scholarship to the University of South Dakota. Before her college career starts, she hopes to cap off her high school season with another trip to the State Tournament in Lincoln next month.