Westside Community Schools receives National Unified Banner

September 30, 2022

Preprunningnerd

Westside Unified athletes compete at the Westside Track Invitational in April 2022.

The National Unified Banner is what Westside High School along with the rest of Westside Community Schools recently were awarded for their amazing efforts and achievements in Unified sports. District 66 is the first school district across the country to have every school receive the award.

The National Banner Unified Champion Award is awarded to individual schools, who meet the ten specific requirements given by the Special Olympics organization. The district and schools worked hard to insure, that they met those requirements to the maximum degree. 

“Some requirements were definitely harder than others,” Westside High School’s special education director, Jennifer Brockman said. 

The importance and significance of the award goes a long way for the entire district, but especially in Westside High School. What the award shows and symbolizes in the school is why everyone is so proud in receiving the award. 

I am very proud of the accomplishments of our schools and everyone that was apart of them,” Westside director of special services, Kami Jessop said. 

Special education is a big part of Westside Community Schools and unified sports goes right along with it. Unified sports is all done for the kids and people involved the activities. The staff and unified partners do it to see the kids happy and joyful. 

“The kids are the soul and heart of unified sports,” unified bowling coach Melissa Lingerfelt. “Seeing the kids excited means so much.” 

The National Unified banner award means a great deal to the district. The banner is a sign of respect, but also a show of the responsibility and abilities the district has for their students.

“The banner means to us that our unified organization is respected,” said Brockman. “But with respect is the responsibility of maintaining our status and continuing to follow the standards. 

There will be a WE-SIDE Unified celebration that will take place at the Phelps football field at approximately 2:30 on Friday, Oct. 7 after the Homecoming parade ends back on campus.