Girls golf team has second place finish at Duchesne Invite

September 10, 2022

The Westside girls golf team did not have their best day at the Duchesne Invitational on Sept. 13, but they still managed to end up in second place. 

Westside had two players finish in the top ten. Sophomore Carly Bea Brown took a ninth place medal and junior Madeline Schlegel finished in sixth place at the Invite. Repetition in practice has paid off for Schelgel. 

“I think we all need to work on our consistency and our mental game,” Schlegel said. “Coach Hellman likes to tell us that the hardest shot is the six inches between our ears”.

Westside golf head coach Jered Hellman was amazed at the team’s success in the tournament.

“I was surprised at our finish at Duchesne,” Hellman said. “It was a tough day, and the play was really slow, many of our girls were frustrated and had some higher scores than usual.”

Hellman was also impressed with Schlegel’s productive performance.

“Right now Madie’s scores have not been as consistent as she would like,” Hellman said. “I am confident that she will continue to work on these aspects and look for really big things this season and next year.”  

The Warriors will compete in the Metro Championship on Tuesday, Sept. 27 at Elmwood golf course.