AJ Shefsky heads to Spain to improve tennis game

September 8, 2022

Westside tennis star AJ Shefsky looks to continue to add to his already impressive high school career this fall. In preparation for his upcoming junior season, Shefsky took his talents to Europe during the summer to compete in tennis matches in Spain. When Shefsky was off the court, he did some other related activities involving his “ShefStrings” business. The former state champion restrings tennis racquets.

“It was really cool to go over there, everyone was very nice.” Shefsky said. “I got to do some business over there with stringing too, so that was fun.”

Europe is one of the biggest markets for tennis with players and talent ranging from all over. Shefsky encountered some new challenges on the court. The style of play and environments are very different compared to the United States. The Westside junior struggled to adapt to the clay courts.

“It was hard to adjust to Europe because the court surface was clay which is only in Europe.” Shefsky said. “ I would say in Europe they are very steady and make fewer errors. In America they hit the ball harder and are less consistent”

The European experience for Shefsky was a positive one, as he was able to learn more and get better at the sport. He was able to sharpen his skills in both single and double competitions.  

“Everyone on our team was really great.” Shefsky said. “I am grateful for this opportunity”.

Shefsky’s summer experience overseas has paid off in Nebraska. The Westside junior recently won the number one singles title at the Millard North Invitational on Sept. 15. Shefsky had a perfect day on the court with a 5-0 record and led the Warriors to the team title.