Cross country hits the ground running with several personal records

September 6, 2022

The Westside Cross Country teams hit the ground running Aug. 27, with the first meet of the year.

The girls team came out strong with juniors Stella Miner and Claire White taking first and second respectively. 

“They came out and were ready to compete. They put in the effort they needed,” head coach Theresa Gosnell said. 

The rest of the team had a strong performance, with freshman Mia Urosevich and Elli Wittman finishing with top 15 finishes in their first 5k. 

“I am really proud of my team for stepping up and putting in the work,” White said. 

The girls are focusing on their mental mindset going forward. The team wants a strong positive attitude. 

“I think a strong positive mindset will change a lot. I think as long as the girls believe, we can be the best team in the state,” White said. 

The boys team came out strong, with sophomores Ryan Kugler taking third and Connor Gross taking second. The team’s performance proved they can do better than last year. 

“The first meet is a great way to figure out what they are great at and not so great at, and they all definitely figured that out,” Gosnell said. 

The rosters weren’t completely solidified, but the performance by some young runners may just help them solidify a spot on varsity. Personal records may not seem like a lot, but to coaches they show effort and hard work. 

“Everyone did really well and we even had several runners set personal records that day,” Gosnell said. 

The team hopes to continue the success going forward. With many people placing high and runners setting personal records the season looks bright.