Girls golf begins season with new coach, veteran squad

August 23, 2022

The Westside girls golf team is coming into the 2022 season with a new lineup and hope to make a big impact in the state golf tournament. After the loss of two-time state champion Kaitlyn Hanna, the team is going to need a new leader to lead the way.

A player making huge waves recently is Carly Bea Brown, who won the Nebraska Junior Golf Championship for the 16-year-old group at Happy Hollow Country Club. The Westside junior also finished in third place at the Elkhorn South Invitational with a round of 75 at the Pacific Spring golf course on Monday, Aug. 22. Brown expressed her excitement for this season along with the pressure of having to step into that leadership role.

“I think I will fit into Kaitlyn’s role great. Kaitlyn was an outstanding player and I was so lucky to be able to learn from her,” Brown said. “Now I just have to apply that to her not being here anymore.”

Along with the change in leadership, there has also been a change in the coaching staff. After the retirement of longtime coach Barry Glanzer, Jared Hellman has been named the new head coach. 

Hellman also explained his excitement and thoughts heading into the beginning of the season.

“I am extremely excited and honored to be the head girls golf coach.  I graduated from Westside and  I have coached at the high school for over twenty years, and this has always been my goal,” Hellman said. “To lead a program with the history we have, the amazing indoor facility and an amazing group of young ladies is truly an honor and a dream come true.”

Heading into the season, Brown explained what she believes she needs to do in order to really make an impact at the state tournament this year.

“At state I just need to play my own game and be more focused on playing the course,” Brown said. “At the end of the day golf is about who beat the course better.”

The Warriors are excited for this season and will play in the Millard West Invitational at the Elkhorn Ridge golf course on Thursday, Aug. 25.