Isle of Dogs: Movie Review

Wes Anderson has been my favorite director for a long time. Along with the rest of his niche fan base, I was thrilled to hear that Anderson was writing and directing his second major stop-motion animated movie, Isle of Dogs. It is set in the fictional city of Megasaki, Japan. The story revolves around Mayor Kobayashi, voiced by Kunichi Nomura, who is a brash, oppressive, dictator-type, and his distant nephew, Atari Kobayashi. Atari, voiced by Koyu Rankin, is a quiet, self-possessed twelve-year-old boy who is under the care of his uncle. When the dogs of Japan become infected with a supposedly incurable disease, Mayor Kobayashi, decrees that all dogs will be exiled to the “Isle of Dogs,” a garbage dump in the form of an island. He chooses Atari’s dog and beloved companion, Spots (voiced by Liev Schreiber) to be the first to go as an example to the public. Dismayed, Atari goes on a mission to get Spots back. During his venture, Atari meets a pack of exiled alpha dogs, voiced by acclaimed actors such as Edward Norton, Bryan Cranston, and Bill Murray, who elect to aid Atari in finding his lost dog.

First off, the movie is gorgeous. With beautiful composition, a unique animation style, and consistent color palettes, Wes Anderson and his team have brought everything you could possibly ask for visually to the table. Secondly, all of the human Japanese characters in Isle of Dogs speak solely Japanese. While this may sound confusing, it is extremely well done. I think that having these characters speak their native language adds authenticity to such a fantastical tale, and creates unique opportunities for translation. Either student translators are used, subtitles are written, and sometimes non-vital information is left untranslated.

I also love the characters. I particularly enjoyed Tracy Walker (voiced by Greta Gerwig) an American foreign exchange student who rallies her fellow activist classmates to join her in protesting Mayor Kobayashi and his anti-dog policies. She is a determined, dynamic girl who fights for what she believes in. These characteristics allow her to influence a real change in the public’s opinion and make the movie politically relevant. With all of the recent societal turmoil, such a powerful, young female character is inspiring.

Isle of Dogs is a must-see. It is quirky, uplifting, and beautiful. If you take anything from this movie, I hope it is that as a young person, you have the power to create a positive change in society.

Story by Elliot Evans, Graphic by Jane Knudsen