Le Quartier

Le+Quartier

A Slice of France in Omaha

As I step into Le Quartier, the crème de la crème of Omaha’s French infused bakeries, my eyes go wild as I spot the colorful pastry case in the window. The charming bell rings as I push open the door, with the smell of freshly baked bread greeting me. A young, welcoming employee smiles at me ready to take my order. The beautiful Parisian images displayed all around invite you to relax and dine like a Frenchman as you embark on your journey to pastry heaven.

John and Seth Quiring, the owners of this patisserie, crafted their skills at culinary schools in stunning cities like Paris, and Montreal. The name (pronounced luh cart-ee YAY) means “the neighborhood.” Named after the winding streets of Canada, the Quirigs fell in love with. Le Quartier has two easily accessible locations in Omaha, one in Countryside Village and the other in Dundee.

The company prides themselves on using all natural ingredients. All sweets are made on site, but their bread is made daily in Lincoln and driven to them in their signature white van. Every one of Le Quartier’s signature creations are so delicious they seem to invite the customers in themselves. The crusty, lacy baguettes; the soft thick Parisian loaves; the hole-y (holy?) ciabatta rolls; and most importantly the decadent croissant, all pleasing to the palette and the wallet. In addition to the baked goods, Le Quartier has light soups and sandwiches to offer a lunch option to their loyal following.

The simple ambiance of the room beckons such characters as the frantic student cramming for an exam, or the  elderly lady who goes to relive her days as a showgirl in France. The wheat colored walls are decorated with fabulous photos of Montreal scenes, and pastry cases to gaze at wide-eyed.

The employees are passionate about their job, eager to share all they can about the business.

“This place is something that people probably aren’t used to seeing, especially in Omaha. There isn’t a thriving French community here, so people like to have places like these to spread the culture,” John, an employee shared with me.

If you are in search of a delicate snack that pays homage to the fine culture of the French, Le Quartier will not leave you disappointed.

Le Quartier

Countryside; 8706 Countryside Plaza, Omaha, NE 68114

Dundee: 5026 Underwood Ave, Omaha, NE 68132

Prices: $7-$10 per person

Info: 402-993-1207 or www.lequartierbakery.com

story by daisy friedman, photos by emma reiser