Warriors take on state tennis

October 12, 2017

The Westside varsity boys tennis team competed during day one at the NSAA State Championships Thursday.  Westside competed with one player in each of the singles tournaments as well as a team in each of the doubles tournaments.  Senior Jordan Rhyner was knocked out of the #1 singles tournament in the first round in a two set affair (6-1, 6-0).  Freshman Jake Bonnett went three rounds into the tournament by sweeping Omaha Burke’s Destan Anderson (6-1, 6-1) and taking down Millard West’s Gaurov Khot in a sweep (6-1, 7-6).  He was then knocked out of the tournament at the hands of Millard North’s Garrett Starman.

In the doubles #1 tournament, seniors Neil and Henry Novak were swept in the first round by Lincoln East (6-1, 6-0).  Juniors Ethan Forcade and Ryan Vester made it to the second round after a sweep of Omaha Central (6-1, 6-0), but they were ultimately ousted by a sweep at the hands of Lincoln Southeast (6-1, 6-0).

Freshman Jake Bonnett will be the only Warrior to compete on Friday as he’ll be competing in a four-man bracket for fifth place.