What is fashion? A more in-depth look into one of Westside’s unique classes

October 12, 2017

Even though lots of students are enrolled in fashion class at Westside, many of them are oblivious to what this class and its purpose is. Fashion is a creative art that is important to many students at Westside. Mary-Jo Losen, the fashion director at Westside, says that fashion is a rewarding family-consumer science class to enroll in.

“Fashion is an important class because it helps students be creative with their work and they gain problem-solving skills,” Losen said.

During a typical day in fashion, there are all different levels of the class working in the fashion lab: intro, one, two, three, four, and four plus.

“If someone walked in during one of our combined labs, they would think it was complete chaos because there is always so much going on in each level of fashion,” Losen said.

Losen is the only fashion teacher at Westside. With all of the students needing her help during class with their projects, it can be stressful at times.

“Sometimes I feel outnumbered, but I only really get stressed out when there is nothing for me to do, I like to keep moving,” Losen said.

Students enrolled in fashion can make and sew a variety of items for their projects that they turn in for a grade. There are many different items that can be made, and Losen loves seeing students pleased with their work.

“It’s always a good feeling seeing people wearing something they made because that means that they really like the way their product turned out,” Losen said.

Overall, the fashion department at Westside is not one to be forgotten.

“I think that fashion is kept a secret, but it shouldn’t be,” Losen said. “It is such a great thing to be a part of at Westside.”