Learning lounge area is now a “No Go Zone”

October 4, 2017

Starting Wednesday, October 4 the learning lounge will no longer be accessible to students.

Since January, the learning lounge has been an environment for students to work comfortably. Full of couches and tables, most students utilized the learning lounge as a more relaxed place to work instead of having to go to an IMC.

“It is place that students can go where they aren’t classified as freshmen, sophomores, etc. It is an area that everybody can use,” freshman Dayzee Mayfield said.

An email sent out on October 3 by Principal Jay Opperman, explained how the closure was related to “the utilization of staff, staff reductions, and reducing traffic in classroom areas.”

With the increased crowds in the learning lounge, it made it more difficult for Academic Counseling Program teachers Amy Davis and Katie Reisdorff to focus on doing their jobs of helping students.

“It is like the landing all day long down here. Especially during lunch mods,” Davis said.

Due to the traffic, Davis and Reisdorff became too busy focusing more on supervising the learning lounge than getting students the help they need.

The former learning lounge will now become a “No Go Zone” and students will have to depend on either the cafeteria or other IMC’s throughout the school. The furniture from the learning lounge will be moved to the Social Studies IMC.