Westside elementary school honored as a 2017 Blue Ribbon School

September 29, 2017

News was released to the students and majority of staff at Paddock Road on Thursday, September 28. It was officially announced to them that their school was named one of 342 Blue Ribbon schools by the U.S. Department of Education.

Scott Becker, who is the principal of Paddock Road, had been aware of this news before school began in August. He tried his best to keep the information disclosed to the school until the official assembly and announcement yesterday.

“Our district administrative team was aware, Dr. McCann was aware, and my leadership team in the building,” Becker said. “But we really tried hard, we really wanted to see the surprise on the staffs faces and the students faces here today.”

The school was awarded this honor after being nominated and filling out an application. The school’s excellence in math and science test scores also contributed to the reception of the award. Paddock Road sixth grader Jennifer Sigala feels this will help her in her future.

“I want to be a veterinarian when I grow up,” Sigala said. “We have reading and math so it will make me better.”

Westside superintendent Blane McCann says that he is confident that the education received at Paddock Road and other Westside elementary schools will set up the students for success in their high school years.

“We articulate the curriculum all the way through high school,” McCann said. “Our high school does some great things, but without our colleagues from kindergarten all the way through grade eight, high school wouldn’t be able to do those things. You see a lot of work done at the high school, you know comes to fruition of the hard work that was done sometimes in first grade, second grade, third grade, kindergarten.”

Becker is excited for the education to continue to strive at Paddock Road.

“From here we can only continue to rise,” Becker said. “We’ve got such a roll up the sleeves mentality already and anytime we can add a little more incentive and reward to the great work that’s being done I think it just pushes people to work even harder so I’m excited for everyone as we go forward.”

In order to celebrate this achievement, students and staff at Paddock will have a “Popcorn Friday,” today, September 29.

“We really wanted to surprise the students and reward them as well and so were gonna come together and just have a little celebration in the classrooms to celebrate the success here today,” Becker said.

This is the first time Paddock Road has received this honor.

Photo Gallery by: Kyndall Goodwin