Thoughts on IMC separation

September 21, 2017

Over the years the Westside student body has managed to categorize the IMC’s by grade level, restricting what IMCs students are stereotypically “socially allowed” to spend their open mods in. The IMC’s main function is to provide a quiet learning space where students can go to get help from teachers and do their homework; however, students have put a territorial twist on it.

“[The designated ninth grade IMC is] definitely the english IMC. You almost never see upperclassmen in it.” freshman Taylor Beda said.

Having the IMC’s separated has its advantages. Students are given an IMC that is specifically for their grade level, allowing them a closer connection to their peers. Sophomores gravitate towards the math IMC, while juniors and seniors stick together in the business/social studies IMC.

“It kind of has the class unity impact,” hall monitor Bob Mulligan said. “Everybody thinks that their class is the dominant class so it’s nice to have them separated that way. More here than other schools that I’ve been to or worked at that the classes are really close. The senior class is really tight and they all like each other and the junior class is really close so that’s kind of nice.”

Students can also spend their open mods in the learning lounge. The learning lounge is a more relaxed environment where the grade separation isn’t as enforced.

“I think it’s the most laid back IMC and it has a lot of room” senior Zoe Thackray said.

Some students choose to go to the learning lounge rather than another IMC if their grades “designated” IMC is full, because they feel as though it is the only other acceptable area for them to go.

“It would be nice if kids weren’t intimidated by upperclassmen so they’d have more places to sit and work” Beda said.

When it comes to just finding a place to work it can be difficult for students to find a place. If the English IMC and learning lounge are full, freshmen seem there’s nowhere else to turn except the courtyard. Upperclassmen however don’t seem to have this problem nearly as much. Most of the IMC separation comes from intimidation and superiority.