Former Prep students share their thoughts on the move to Westside

September 5, 2017

The Westside-Prep rivalry has been prevalent in both schools for over 50 years, from Prep dying Westside’s pool blue 30 years ago to the year round social media battles today. It would seem unimaginable for someone to transfer to their rival school. Despite the rivalry, three senior boys; Gavin McQuillan, Aaron Mischo, and Jon Gouger, moved to Westside this year.

“I think [the rivalry] is cool,” Gouger said.  “I just feel like some people take it a little too far. I like the competitiveness in it. It’s been going on for like three generations, that’s pretty cool.”

The transfer to Westside was not a difficult decision, as all three boys wanted to move years ago. Mischo and Gouger were denied acceptance because of the district’s option enrollment policy.  

“When I knew I was transfering, I just thought, ‘finally’,” McQuillan said. “I wanted to transfer after sophomore year. I really didn’t want to go back to Prep my senior year but just planned on it.”

The boys said they believed Prep wasn’t letting them live their full high school experience and wanted to get away from the restriction, which they said they felt like Westside would allow.

“I really like [Westside],”  Gouger said. “It actually feels like a school. Prep felt more like a job, it was very professional.”  Mischo and McQuillan’s whole friend group ended up leaving Prep by their senior year, whereas Gouger left good friends behind.

“[My friends] had different reactions,” Gouger said. “Some were not as enthusiastic as others, but the majority took it very well for me moving to our biggest rival school.”

Mischo and Gouger said they are excited to be a part of sports team and believe they will be a lot of help towards future victories. Gouger will be on the swim team in the fall and Mischo will be on basketball and baseball in the spring.

The boys said they knew they made the right decision after being at Westside for a week.

“Everyone seems social, really social,” Mischo said. “Teachers are cool, staff is cool. I just feel really free around here. It’s just a good feeling.”