Student’s passion for technology allows him to help the greater good

February 1, 2017

Within two minutes, sophomore Sean Johnson can have access to your bank account. However, doing so has never been something that Johnson has aimed to do. His plethora of knowledge on hacking techniques and his past with technology have taught him to use his abilities for the better.

“It teaches you a lesson in a way, because you can do it but you also have to remember that the people that you’re doing it to, don’t know what to do or don’t know how to keep themselves secure,” Johnson said.

For the last five years, Johnson has worked on technology with his father, who is in computer security. Johnson also works with Westside’s Tech Support, finding ways around the school computers. Johnson says that he finds stuff that Tech Support doesn’t even know about and then does continues to do his own research on it.

“It’s not like I’m doing it for the bad. I’m not doing it to cause trouble,” Johnson said. “I’m doing it because I’m trying to find the ways to prevent it from happening to other people.”

Johnson is determined to continue to keep with the learning process of technology. While he has been learning about the endless possibilities of technology, he has learned a lot about the importance of security.

“As a 15 year old, I was able to do something that people had been working their whole lives to protect and stop from happening,” Johnson said.

Johnson has even worked over the summer with Tech Support and hopes that one day he’ll be able to pursue a career in technology. The way that he works around obstacles with technology pushes him to pursue his passion for the good.

“What made me want to do this is that I love technology,” Johnson said. “When I’m able to use technology for the better, that’s what I do for fun.”