Election leaves Muslim students feeling unsure, unsafe

November 14, 2016

The heated presidential election has caused many Americans to become more passionate towards their political beliefs than ever. With a drive to elect who they think will best represent America, some may say that this election has caused Americans to drift farther apart, separating themselves based on views. However, one thing certain; a person should not have to live in fear because of their elected president. Sophomores Neha Khalid and Yousra Abdulrazig explain why they are worried that they could encounter problems in the next four years due to the hatred aimed at their religion.

Late last year, Donald Trump has stated that he wants to ban Muslims from entering the United States. Khalid and Abdulrazig are American Muslims, and are both unsure how he will actually pull through with the things he has said throughout the course of his campaign.

“Honestly I was really shocked that there was so much hate and that Donald Trump could’ve made it this far, [based] on hate,” Khalid said. “It was really eye opening because I never thought that this was such a big problem.”

Abdulrazig says that she feels safer because some of the things Trump has said towards Muslims are simply unrealistic. With so much hate being projected, both Khalid and Abdulrazig believe the damage has already been done.

“Another thing is, I’m also black, a Muslim, and a woman. He’s very negative towards those specific religions, races, and genders and I am scared. I know anything could happen to me,” Abdulrazig said.

Many people were shocked that Donald Trump won the election after the majority of polls suggested otherwise. The results have caused an uprising with several riots and protests occurring. People are willing to let their voices be heard and some have taken to Twitter, sharing how they now feel unsafe.

“He needs to realize that Muslims have feelings. I think he portrays them as monsters without feelings, when we all have feelings. Don’t just label people as terrorists, there are good and bad people,” Khalid said.

Diversity is what makes America unique. Regardless of Trump’s views, we are all human.

“I feel like no matter how many people will say bad things to me, say rude things to me, I know I’m still a U.S. citizen, I was born in America. I have just the same rights that everyone here does.”