Students share different views about 2016 presidential election

November 15, 2016

Following the 2016 Presidential Election, there has been controversy regarding both candidates, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, across the country. Around Westside, things have been heating up as well. While there are hard-core supporters from both sides, a lot of people from the school agree that neither candidate would be their first choice.

Senior Lane Kangas says that none of the candidates are good, but believes that Trump was the better choice.

“I think neither side is good, but I think that at this point in time, Trump was the best option,” Kangas said. “He’s a businessman, he knows how to deal with money; which could be good for the economy.”

Freshman Alex Vandenburg agreed with Kangas that both candidates were pretty bad.

“I really wasn’t satisfied with either candidate; not necessarily bad, but not the best election,” Vandenburg said.

However if she was forced to choose, Vandenburg would go with Clinton without a doubt.

“I really did not support anyone this election, I just wasn’t a fan of Trump- I say that especially as a woman.” Vandenburg said. “As a woman, you should have the right to do what you want with your body. He is very pro-life, but I agree with Clinton on her pro-choice standpoint.”

Kangas doesn’t deny that Trump has said and done bad things, but when it comes to Clinton’s scandals, he believes that one side is definitely worse than the other.

Trump says bad things, but that’s not breaking the law. Hillary has done things that has broken the law, she has lied to Americans, and put Americans lives at risk,” Kangas said. “She had 4 americans killed…That’s when you ask yourself: Who’s better?”

One thing that both students agree on is the immigration policy that Mr. Trump has proposed to put in place. Vandenburg says that Trump is using unfair stereotypes about Hispanics.

He says that he wants to send them all back to Mexico, which I don’t think is okay. He shouldn’t assume that all Hispanics are bad,” Vandenburg said.

Kangas has the same standpoint as Vandenburg. He also thinks that Trump’s immigration policy won’t be good for this country.

“A con [for Trump] is that he makes a lot of comments about deporting Mexicans and Muslims and it offends a lot of people. Not everybody’s a terrorist, not everybody’s illegal,” Kangas said.

As the next four years play out, Kangas is curious to see what Trump will do.

“It’s gonna be interesting now that Trump is president, because now Republicans have now controlled the house and the senate; and Trump will elect the next judge. We’ll see if they have complete control of the judicial system in the next year or so,” Kangas said.

On the other hand, Vandenburg says that she is scared for her future and believes that the next couple of years will consist of high’s and low’s.

It is going to be interesting to see what he is going to do. I am intrigued to see what happens because he is a businessman; it is going to be a rollercoaster.”