Recreational club forms to keep busy students active

November 2, 2016

Students have many responsibilities. From managing school, homework, a job, social life, and clubs, it can be difficult for students to be involved in a competitive sport. Junior Josh Christensen has started a club to allow busy students a chance to put their athletic abilities to the test, without having to take time from their busy schedules and many other commitments.

“WRA stands for Westside Recreational Activities,” Christensen said. “It’s kinda like sports skills except we try to focus on things you would not do in class, maybe kickball or capture the flag. It’s just like if you don’t want to do a sport and just have fun and keep in shape.”

The first-year club is meant for students to keep an active lifestyle and try new sports without committing to a specific team. It is a laid back environment for students, whether they are athletes or not.

“This club started by having the idea that you can play sports without having to be as competitive, like keeping in shape for the fun of it, not because of conditioning.” Christensen said.

WRA helps to redefine the stereotype that you have to be part of a competitive club team to participate in a sport or even be active in general. It is an inclusive club that anyone can join, no previous knowledge about the sport is required.

“Depending on the week, there are around 25-26 [members],” Christensen said.

Christensen said he hopes to have a more consistent turnout, and is looking for more freshman and sophomores to join as well. 

“My goal is to make sure that the students themselves are leaders, and that they push the club to have high participation rates, to be safe when they’re working and have fun,” Club sponsor Karl Fick said.

If you have any questions about the club, or are interested in joining, contact Christensen at [email protected] or Fick at [email protected] !