A wheelie big passion

November 1, 2016

alt+text

Hannah Heim

Test Caption

When you think of Nathan Moseley most people think of him as the English teacher, but what a lot of people don’t see is what he does on the side.

“I love cycling so it’s one of those things that has been a hobby of mine,” Moseley said, “What I love about it is just being able to get out and get new people who have never done it before into it. Get students who never thought they could do it or never really considered cycling as an activity and just getting them interested into it.”

Moseley thought of incorporating his love for cycling into the school by making it a team.

“Three years ago my brother and I sat down, he’s at Millard West, and started talking about a high school racing series amongst schools and so we started that racing series and changed the club into more of a team atmosphere. We still did fun rides but the main idea was preparing for the series and racing.”

Moseley has compared cycling to other sports and has seen a significant difference.

“[Cycling] is the only [sport] on wheels so that’s unique,” Moseley said, “But what I think what makes it even more unique, is the variety like getting out to all these different parks and areas and being able to ride at different times of the day. Football has to happen on the football field, soccer on the soccer field, but cycling is different.”

Moseley has welcomed any newcomers to join cycling club. Although this season is coming to a close, students can join this next coming fall.

“Who cares what other people think about you riding a bike when you are 15, 16, or 17 years old. Are you going to be playing football when you are 40 years old? No. Are you going to be riding your bike? Probably. It is more of a lifelong sort of a sport than a lot of the other things other people play,” Moseley said.