Band reflects on their march to success this season

November 1, 2016

With the marching band’s season officially ending, the band has reflected on their improvement throughout the season. This year the band had four competitions and have scored higher than previous seasons, receiving the highest rating with a superior and a score of 86.9. Band director Thomas Krueger saw the band get better each time they performed.

“We’ve gotten a lot better just playing-wise throughout the season,” Krueger said. “We’ve gotten a lot better with our style and discipline. As the season went on, I thought we got more and more focused and had our eyes set on the goal.”

This is Krueger’s first year as band director and he has been the band director at Seward High School in the past. Senior Ava Bowman thinks that Krueger has done a good job with getting students to be more disciplined and focused.

“It’s only the first year with a new director. I can’t even imagine how good they’re going to end up being next year, so that’ll be interesting and good to watch,” Bowman said.

Through late night and early morning practices, the band devoted a lot of time to be successful this season. Krueger said that the band is dedicated to what they do because they have put in so much effort. He also said that because of the connection the band students have with their friends, they want to be good. Bowman added that the band does well because of the support system they have.

“Being a senior and seeing the last three years to this year; it was phenomenal,” Bowman said. “We got a lot better. We went from getting like 8th or 9th place to getting 4th place. We are starting to be a real competitor with other Omaha schools, which we haven’t seen in the past.”