A guide for first-time voters

November 1, 2016

Election Day is one week away! First things first: people of age 18 or older cannot vote unless they are registered. Here’s a step-by-step guide of how to register to vote, and what to do when Election Day comes.

Step 1: Choose a location, time, and date to register to vote.
-Research where your community is hosting registration events. You can register to vote by visiting a local library, the –Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), registering online, or printing a registration form.

Step 2: Fill out a registration form.
-Completing out the form is simple. Once it is completed, you can mail or deliver the hard copy of the form to the Election Commission for processing.
-First, check boxes in the upper left corner of the form stating that you are a citizen of the United States, and whether you are at least, or will be, 18 years old on or prior to Election Day.
-Enter your full name, Nebraska Driver’s License/State ID number, or the last four digits of your Social Security number. They will also ask for a phone number and/or email address.
-Enter your current residence address, and a mailing address, if you would like to receive your mail at a different address.
-Choose a political party, or choose not to be affiliated with a political party by checking the Nonpartisan box.
-Finally, read the Applicant’s Oath, and review the information you have given.

Step 3: Choose a location to vote on Election Day.
-Polling places are chosen to accommodate the most voters a community can provide. Based on your address, you will be assigned a polling place that is relatively near your place of residence.
-All polling places are handicapped accessible. Polls are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Step 4: How to Vote
-When you get to your polling place, there will be a small queue of people up front. Don’t worry about that, the volunteers will show you exactly what to do.
-At the issuing table, the officer will ask you for your name, address, and date of birth.
-Although ID is not needed, it is recommended; it will make the whole process alot easier.
-The officer will give you your ballot papers, and you will go to a voting booth to fill out your ballot to vote for your desired candidate/to repeal or retain a law.
-Be sure to read the ballot carefully, as it is very important that you understand the questions.
-Most of the ballot will be straightforward, except one part, which regards the retention of the death penalty in Nebraska. On the ballot, there will be two boxes; repeal and retain. A vote to retain will eliminate the death penalty while a vote to repeal the death penalty will actually keep the death penalty.
-When you are done with making your choices, fold your ballot and place it in the appropriate ballot box on your way out.
Congrats! You have just voted and put your voice in our constitution.