Review: The Altar by Banks

October 4, 2016

If you’re looking for the perfect album to get you in the fall spirit, check out The Altar, Banks’ newest album, released on September 30th. The album primarily consists of dark chilling beats, ideal for a laid back Halloween party. If tracks with names like “Poltergeist” and “Haunt” don’t hint at the mood of the album, I don’t know what else would. The gem of the album, “Gemini Feed” shifts from a somber and defined beat to a chorus highlighting Jillian Bank’s feathery voice against a lighter electro sound. It contains a bit of the same deep bass from her original hit, “Beggin for Thread” from her debut album Goddess. No worries if dark alternative pop isn’t your jam. The Altar is peppered with a few songs that contrast the overall shadowy and downcast vibe of the album. Some songs feature more instruments as opposed to synthesizers and put a spotlight on Banks’ rich voice. The album showcases Banks’ wide vocal range as she flows from breezy to raw vocals, and plays with whispers and silky melodies. Whichever way she contorts her voice, it seems to blend well with the edgy alternative pop.

The intimate album centers around love but the lyrics of each song delve deeper into the subject, and aren’t totally cliché, stereotypical, love songs. Banks’ brooding songs of witch pop embody ideas of relationships, power, and human interaction. The Altar will most definitely be home to some of this spooky season’s favorites.