Students participate in the St. Louis CAPS Hackathon

September 26, 2016

Through the new CAPS program, selected students had the opportunity to travel to St. Louis for the STL Hackathon. Students were tasked with emerging themselves in the fields of computer science, technology and entrepreneurship in order to create their own startup company.

CAPS, standing for the Center for Advanced Professional Studies is, “An innovative program that allows students to fast-forward their futures and become immersed in a professional culture, solve industry-based problems and be inspired to succeed in the critical areas of Health Sciences, Business Solutions/Emerging Technology and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).” 

“We spent a lot of Friday with colleges and learning about different opportunities in the CAPS program as a whole,” said junior CAPS student Ethan Siebert. “But Saturday we worked hard in solving social issues that we could actually pursue as a future product.”

For Siebert’s group, they were given the prompt to create an innovative way to have people stay involved throughout a baseball game.

“[My group] decided we would create an app that would allow someone to interact with the big screen in stadiums.” Siebert said. “We made it possible for people to play games, participate in polls, vote on music and many more features that would hopefully keep people engaged during the game.”
Members of the CAPS program who travelled include: Andrew Yoo, Colton Willnerd, Conner Tomcak, Ella Hubbard, Ethan Siebert, Katie Monochie and Ryan Melcher.