New club aims to reduce high school stress

September 15, 2016

Stress: a problem that burdens both students and staff alike. Between homework, studying, sports and having to balance school activities; it seems unavoidable. We’ve all had moments where we’ve become so overwhelmed that the issue begins to affect our grades. Despite the perceived ‘losing battle’, there are plenty of opportunities to cope with stress.

In an attempt to help students, Stress Management Club began this week and will continue to have meetings on Tuesdays mod 6/7 Thursday mornings from 7:30 a.m. to 8 a.m. in room 222.

“We’ve seen through research and different areas of life where stress impacts not only your academics, but your social and emotional behavior,” said club sponsor and guidance counselor Lauri Cunningham. “If it’s not dealt with or managed, then it only leads to future problems.”

The club works individually with students to aid them in discovering where there is stress in their lives, and more importantly, provides creative ways to combat those issues.

“As a club, we begin with meditation and breathing techniques. Then we try to put your mind to work, because your mind is powerful when it comes to stress,” Cunningham said. “How you talk to yourself and how you think about things affect your life on a daily basis.”

For those who can’t attend meetings, there are still plenty of resources available that can help reduce stress.

“Research shows that everyone relaxes in different ways,” Cunningham said. “Music, art, cooking and dance are just a few activities that students could learn to relieve stress. We want to explore a lot of those ways within the club.”

ART by Katelynn Shepard