RECAP: Varsity football dominates the Packers in Friday night’s game

September 12, 2016

Varsity Football vs. Omaha SouthWestside’s Varsity Football team brought home another win with a final score of 66-5 over Omaha South this past Friday. After the team’s big win against Millard South on September 9, senior Henry Flott and the rest of the football team had high expectations for last week’s game.

“I knew it was gonna be a tough game because the coaches told us that South had some athletes,” Flott said.

A few minutes into the first quarter, junior Caleb Schweigart puts six points onto the board for Westside with a catch thrown by junior quarterback Dylan Plautz.

Also in the first quarter, Flott walks one in to the end zone to make the score 15-0. The warriors go for 2 and are successful. With a two minutes left in the first quarter, junior Jaden Kohls catches a pass from Plautz to finish the quarter with a score of 24-0.

“I was surprised by how explosive our offense was,” Flott said. “Our line really stepped up for the game.”

In the first play of the second quarter, Plautz threw his third touchdown of the night to Flott to put the warriors up 31-0. Shortly after, senior Cory Myers and sophomore Tyson Guzman earned themselves a pick-six each, finishing the half with a score of 45-5.

To start the second half, senior Steven Simon scored the third pick-six of the night to put 6 more points on the board. Warriors earn the extra point and the score is now 52-5.

“We knew we had to keep our lead and finish out the game,” Flott said. “It was good to get the younger players some experience in a varsity game.”

At the start of the fourth quarter, Kohls earned himself another touchdown after a 70-yard run into the endzone. Senior Phillip Trimble ends the game with a rushing touchdown and made the final score 66-5, breaking the school’s previous scoring record of 63 points.

“It was good how we got everyone in and a lot of people scored and made big plays,” Flott said. “We hope to keep up good blocking and team chemistry for this week’s game.”

The warriors will take on Northwest High School at Northwest this Thursday at 7p.m.