RECAP: Volleyball team pulls out a solid first win before one of their toughest games

September 7, 2016

Volleyball vs. BryanVarsity Volleyball pulled out a grand slam yesterday at their first home game against the Bryan Bears by winning all 3 out of 5 sets. Senior Brooke Radicia reflects back on the game and is mentally preparing for the Marian game.

“Bryan was unable to return the ball consistently so we weren’t able to run much of an offense. That led to us having to focus on the little things” Radicia said, “It was good because the new varsity players were able to warm up to the environment and the crowd. I think we played our game and we were able to get a good win before we play Marian next week.”

In the first set, senior Brooke Radicia put up a perfect set to junior Makenna Freeman which put the Warriors up 19-6. A few plays later it was a constant rally between the two teams. Freshman Marissa Koch proves herself by making two deep digs to save the Warriors from being scored on. The Warriors won the first set 25-9.

Koch explains how being a freshman on a varsity team can be both a privilege and a struggle. Koch also expresses how excited she is about one of their toughest games of the season.

“It’s really scary and intimidating being on varsity, but the team makes me feel welcome” Koch said, “After our win last night we are all super pumped. We know that Marian is a tough team but when we work together and believe in ourselves and each other; we are an amazing team.”

During the second set the Warriors were up 9-2, but not for long! Sophomore Clara Lamb killed the Bears with an aggressive kill and put yet another point on the board for the Warriors. The Warriors won another set, this time 25-2.

By the third set the Warriors knew they had the win in the bag, but continued to play out the third set. Senior Anna Dudziak made a kill, putting the Warriors up 11-3 which excited the team. To finish the game, the Warriors won 25-5.

I feel like it gave a lot of the people on the bench confidence for when we play Marian next week. I definitely think we will still have to work hard at practice this week,” said senior middle-hitter Anna Knutson.

The Warriors play Omaha Marian on Tuesday, Sept. 13 at Marian High School at 6:30 p.m.