Student mentors help with Sparkles cheerleading program

September 6, 2016

At one varsity football game every year, fans will see some extra cheerleaders on the track. These cheerleaders are called Sparkles; they are part of a nonprofit, nationwide organization for students with disabilities to participate in school-based cheerleading and dance teams. This program has been a part of Westside for more than 4 years. Sponsored by Social Studies teacher Katherine Lupo, the Sparkles cheer program is a way for students with disabilities to show school spirit along with building teamwork and character.

The Sparkles practice during mod’s one and two on Tuesday and Thursday mornings every week. During these practices they learn basic cheers and dances that they perform at four home events in the fall and six in the winter. This year, the program is implementing student mentors to help out during practices.

“We are planning on implementing mentors this year for the first time although it has been a part of the national program for a long time,” Lupo said.  “The one on one mentor is the heart and soul of the program. It gives the student with disabilities an automatic friend in the general population, and vise versa.”

This program is a way for those with special needs to make connections with typical high school students. It allows an average student to bond with a special needs student over a common interest.

”Dance is something I spend a lot of time doing and enjoy, and I just thought it would be great to share my hobby with kids who don’t have the same opportunities as me,” said junior and student mentor Abby Tigani.

Not only is it rewarding for the sparkle cheerleader to have a mentor to look up to, helping out is also a meaningful experience for the students and staff. Seeing the smile on a sparkle cheerleader’s face is an incredibly special feeling for everyone involved.

“When I gave Billy [sparkles cheerleader] his uniform a couple weeks ago he started jumping up and down he was so excited, it was so sweet” said Lupo.

However, in order for this program to fully be successful, more student mentors are needed to get involved. The organization needs 9 mentors, and so far only have 5. Lupo encourages students to join, as it gives an inside look to regular students as what it’s like to live with a disability.

If you’re interested in becoming a student mentor, contact Mrs. Lupo for more information.