Tech support explains high laptop fines for seniors

May 10, 2016

While most seniors were forewarned that they’d have overdue book fines and parking fines, many experienced stick-shock as they were presented with laptop fines with amounts upward of $200. Several seniors suggested that budget cuts and stricter policies were potential reasons for the fines, but IT manager for secondary schools Dwayne Belongia asures students that this is not the case.

“Unlike the white computers, the Air’s aren’t able to be replaced as easily,” Belongia said. “When you have a small dent on the new computers you have to replace the entire piece which ends up costing more.”

Like many seniors, Senior Nikki Wagner found the fines to be outrageous and found it ridiculous to have to pay for a small dent that would probably be recreated by the next student that has it.

“I was really annoyed because I was charged nearly $200 for really small dents,” Wagner said. “My computer was functioning perfectly fine and will for many years.”

Even if a computer is working perfectly, Belongia emphasizes that since students received laptops in perfect condition last year, there’s no reason the next student receiving the laptop shouldn’t receive it in perfect condition as well. Not only that, but ignoring small dents and cracks can result in hinge damage down the line, making a student responsible for a fine that wasn’t their fault.

While there’s no guaranteed way for laptops to remain damage-free, tech support always suggests protecting your computer with a hard-shell case and placing your computer in the sleeve provided with your laptop. Additionally, paying for the $35 insurance plan at the beginning of next year will help minimize out-of-pocket costs that may end up saving you hundreds.