PREVIEW: Your Mom’s Prom 2016

April 26, 2016

In years past, Westside students have bought their tickets for what some would call, “The most important night of one’s senior year;” Prom. Every year, Westside hosts their very own Prom at Lauritzen Gardens. This year, the theme is “Your Mom’s Prom,” where students can enjoy the 80’s themed decorations and attire while dancing and socializing.

Uniquely this year, Westside will be nominating a Prom Court, consisting of five girls and five boys from the senior class. This hasn’t been popular in past years due to the planning being needed in advance to do so. This Prom season, junior Kate Alston along with the rest of the junior class officers are getting the job done.

“We decided to have a prom court this year because it would be a fun way for a couple more seniors who have had a positive impact on Westside to be recognized,” Alston said.

The 10 seniors that are nominated for Prom Court will be announced on Thursday during homeroom. Starting first mod on Thursday, juniors and seniors may vote for one senior boy and one senior girl to represent Westside as the 2016 “Your Mom’s Prom” King and Queen.

“The whole time we were planning prom, we were honestly thinking a lot about the movies that we grew up watching and the cliché proms in the, hence the cheesy theme ‘Your Mom’s Prom,'” Alston said. “There always seemed to be a theme of balloons, bright colors and a prom king and queen, so we really thought that it would also fit well with the atmosphere we were hoping to create.”