Band department puts on Big Band Dance for the community

April 15, 2016

Every year the band department holds multiple events, though the Big Band Dance is the most prominent. The event features the high school’s very own Jazz Band, Stage Band, Westside Middle School’s Hot Jazz Band and the future of Westside jazz bands from the elementary schools. Students from the high school will also be performing many combos.

Junior Alexander Bayles has been apart of jazz band since he was in the sixth grade. This is Bayles’ third year in Concert Jazz Band at the high school and has been honored to perform at the dance this weekend.

“We are performing the music of jazz for the people of our community. There is also dancing, except no one does that but they should” Bayles said.

Senior Jake Larsen and his band mates from Ron Don will be performing a song by an African man by the name of Fela Kuti. Kuti used his music to create a revolution for what he thought was right. Larsen says this performance will be different from the winning performance they did at Battle of the Bands.

“We want to perform not to only entertain this time, but to show how powerful music can be. It is still important that we make this performance memorable for our audience” Larsen said.

Concert Jazz Band has put this fundraiser on for many years and all proceeds go towards buying new equipment for the band department. Not only does this Big Band Dance help the whole department, but it gives the students a time to shine and show everyone what they enjoy doing everyday.

“For me it is kind of like a final performance. We get to show everyone the songs we have been playing and it’s kind of just a cool experience” Bayles said.

The Big Band Dance is Saturday April 16 from 5:30-9 pm. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students, and are available at the door.