Teacher Uses Pictures from the Past to Inspire Students

April 14, 2016

Teacher Bob Brousek has created a miniature photo gallery in the hallways of Westside to showcase 50-60 year old photographs of Westside.  A group of seven photographs titled, “Local Photo History” has been installed in the hallway in hopes that it will inspire students to do an exhibit of their own.

Rick Avard the school engineer came across a collection of photos when he was moving from the ABC building to Westside. The box of at least 100 photos was going to be thrown away, but Avard saved them so they could be seen. Avard approached Social Studies teacher Bob Brousek and together they came up with the idea of displaying them so students would be able to see them.

These photos date all the way back to the 1940’s and 1950’s and show a glimpse of what being a student at Westside over 50 years ago was like. Certain photos feature the math imc, the pool and the auditorium, as well as places that are no longer part of our school.

“We put these [photos] up thinking that students in Independent Study opportunities could have their own exhibits that we could transfer out and so on and so forth,” Brousek said.