McMahon provides insight on balancing campaign with teaching

April 4, 2016

MchanAs the spring season rolls around, students and teachers alike are feeling the stress of the end of the year. Yet, there’s one teacher in particular feeling the heat right now, math instructor Shaun McMahon. McMahon not only balances school and home life, but he also has to balance his highly publicized presidential campaign. Currently McMahon is in second place for the Republican nomination under the moniker “Ted Cruz” to keep his real passion out of the spotlight: teaching.

As he began his campaign journey, McMahon knew it would be a tough battle trying to teach and run for president, but he had a plan from the beginning.

“With all of the campaign events and rallies, I knew I’d be gone a lot, so I planned to be gone mainly on test days and days when content wasn’t hard for a sub to teach,” McMahon said.

Of course, as his campaign faced issues, so did his teaching responsibilities. McMahon knew how to handle the teaching of classes, but what he didn’t foresee was the amount of busy work.

“You wouldn’t believe the amount of papers I have to fill out each week,” McMahon said. “From creating a platform to grading papers, there’s just so much stuff to do, thank goodness for my staff.”

Through it all, McMahon has persevered like no other. He gets his papers graded on time, makes it to all the debates and even makes it home in time for dinner with the family. McMahon is determined to win the presidency, as well as give his students a good Westside education. Even if he becomes president, McMahon will still dedicate himself to teaching math at Westside.

“I’ve thought about it hard, but at the end of the day, even if there’s a world war or a global economy shutdown, my students always come first, no matter the situation,” McMahon said.

Happy belated April Fools Westside!