RECAP: State DECA rewarding for future marketing leaders

March 23, 2016

The DECA marketing team of Westside High School recently competed at the Nebraska State Career Development Conference event where teams can express their professional skills in the marketing world.

One of the sponsors for DECA, marketing teacher Sarah Schau, is proud of the student effort this year.

After doing so well in the state competition, 47 Westside students qualified for the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) in Nashville, Tenn.

“We drove to Lincoln, Nebraska, and the room we were in filled over 500 students,” Schau said. “One of the reasons why we did so well this year was the interest in marketing.”

The trip to Nashville for ICDC is April 22, a mere two weeks before the last day of classes for seniors. However, Schau is impressed with her team and not worried about the future of Westside DECA.

“This year was the first time we’ve been the Chapter of the Year since 2009,” Schau said. “Overall, I don’t think much will change next year. DECA will continue using strong leadership and we will continue to have fun with it.”