Photo courtesy of NPBiS.org
Photo courtesy of NPBiS.org

New disciplinary method put in place to change student behavior

March 22, 2016

Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBiS) is a new approach to discipline that was introduced to Westside High School in February of last year. Since 1997, PBiS has been put in place in more than 10,000 schools. Math instructor Michael Nolette is part of the implementation team for PBiS and is eager to see how the students and staff will adapt to the new environment.

“The PBiS Program will promote positive student behaviors, a positive and supportive school culture and high academic and behavioral expectations,” Nolette said.

The new method was officially put in place this week and students will start to see a change in disciplinary methods going into the 2016-2017 school year. Sophomore Julie Frost says “The method may work for some students, but not all.”

“They’re trying to make discipline sound like a good thing,” Frost said. “I don’t think kids will be encouraged enough to go along with it.”

In high schools, PBiS has seen positive impacts when implementing three primary contextual influences; Size, Culture and Developmental Level. To address these areas, students may begin to see signs posted in the courtyard, in all IMCs and in the landing with rules and expectations for students to follow.

“The goal of the new method is to make Westside a more positive place to be,” Math instructor Linda Rau said. “We would like the students to be safe, respectful and responsible in the school,” Rau said. “If all the teachers and students are on board and we’re consistent with [the PBiS method], I think it’ll work.”