BREAKING: Westside to face $5 million dollar deficit

March 1, 2016

Budget shortfall 2.0 pic
Community members attend the Board of Education meeting Monday Feb. 29. Photo by Libby Seline

On Monday, Feb. 29, the Westside board held its weekly board of education meeting, focusing on the budget for the 2016-2017 school year. At the meeting, Superintendent Blane McCann outlined the revenue and expenses for the upcoming year, ultimately announcing the district will face a $5 million cut in the budget for next year.

McCann explained the cause of the deficit being rising expenses over the year with stagnant revenue. As stated in an earlier budget meeting, property valuations have remained the same, as well as state funding. This is still the same, along with the rising expenses with staff, transportation and the cost of students.

During the past four years, McCann has been facing the budget troubles and been cutting expenses to compensate, mainly from non-staff items. This time, there will be staff cuts according to the board.

As outlined in McCann’s report, he went around the district asking various departments and personnel for suggestions on how to trim the budget. It’s important to note, no cuts are set in stone at this time, but all options are being considered by McCann and the board. Some of the suggestions include:

• Substituting foreign language teachers in elementary schools for a digital based learning (i.e. Rosetta Stone) Savings: $325,000
  • Cutting a full time instrumental music teacher. Savings: $65,000
  • Eliminating two full time Special Education staff members. Savings: $130,000
  • Discontinuing K-6 summer school enrichment program. Savings: $110,000
  • Reducing subs at the high school by giving students a work day or assigned mod instead of a sub. Savings: $75,000
  • Cutting a librarian at the high school. Savings: $65,000
  • Extending walk distance to school to two miles. Would let district cut number of internal routes. Savings: $390,750
  • Delaying material selection for K-6 science curriculum to the 2017-2018 school year. Savings: $350,000

There are more suggestions to reduce the budget, but these were some of the more pressing ones. Should all the budget cuts proposed go into effect, there would still be a $1.6 million deficit. School Board President Scott Hazelrigg hopes to get rid of the deficit completely by the 2017-2018 school year.

To see the full report given at the meeting click here.

For more in-depth information on the budget situation, and reactions, read Westside Wired and the Lance on Friday.