DECA blanket making event to help pediatric cancer patients

February 19, 2016

Whether it is food drives, t-shirt making or football/volleyball events like Powderpuff/buff, DECA is always trying to give back to the community. This month, DECA members made blankets for pediatric cancer patients.

At this event, Feb. 19,  students cut and tied blankets together for the Pediatric Cancer Center.

“At the beginning of the year we tried to make a list of what we want to do every month,” senior DECA member Maddie Duggan said. “Since it’s February and it’s cold out we thought blankets would be a cute idea.”

With all the blankets cut and tied, senior Eliza Jasa will be embroidering a corner on each blanket with a special message from Westside.

“There will be one corner on each blanket that will say something like ‘with love, from Westside’,” Duggan said.

Participants made 20 blankets for both boys and girls and since it is a service event, students who participated received service learning hours, as well.

“These blankets have a ton of colors in them so we are hoping that these blankets will bring some happiness and light into their rooms,” Duggan said.