Senior Jake Fauglid working on parts for the robot to make them operate.

Students use club to build their own robots

December 11, 2015

When students think of robots, some may think of people like machines; mechanically built to be like people. However, Westside students in science club are working on different type of robots, sea perch robots, otherwise known as water robots.

The science club meets every other Thursday to conduct many science activities. The latest focus of the club is building and constructing robots.

“We have kits that guides us on how to build them so essentially all we are doing is putting the kits together” senior Science Club member Brett Robinson said.

The robot kits were acquired by the science club through a recent grant that was given to physics instructor Judy Stucky.

“The students were allowed to unpack the robots and play with them,” Science Club sponsor Ben Powers said. “After they are completely built, the students will be able to test to see what the [sea perch robots] are able to do.”

During this activity students will be placing the built robots into water. By placing them in pool, they will be able to see what the robots are capable of doing.

“Basically they are making submarines that aren’t enclosed,” Powers said. “The robots are going to be able to dive under water.”

Many science club members are excited to see the things the robots will be able to do once they are completely built and ready to be used.

“It will be interesting to see how well we can execute these as a team,” Robinson said. “We are also looking forward to seeing how well we can work together on making these robots really cool.”