Club fundraiser helps child with educational needs

November 30, 2015

admin-ajax.php
Money from the Yuda Bands will help students like Mario Andrés Atz Xil learn to fill out job applications and apply for scholarships.

In the season of giving, one project at Westside is doing their part to help give back to those in need.

The Yuda Bands Project is a way to help people in other countries with many struggles in their lives. Westside High School’s Beta Club is sponsoring a child named Mario Andrés Atz Xil, a 16-year-old in Pachay, Guatemala. The money raised from selling the Yuda bands will be used to send him through school on scholarship.

“A lot of the kids are unable to pay for education so Yuda Bands gives them the
option to go and get that education,” sophomore Beta Club member Rebeca Kisicki said.

Yuda bands are homemade bands of coconut and leather, crafted in Guatemala. Through Beta club they will cost $7, the goal for the project is to sell 400 bands.

Yuda bands helps troubled kids with education and life after.

By completing the goal, the money will help those in need with their educational journey.

“[The Yuda band project] shows them how to fill out college and job applications what they are hoping is that this program will break the poverty cycle,” Guidance counselor Kathy Toner said.

The Yuda bands will be sold starting Dec. 2 and go until Dec. 15.