BREAKING: Ricketts Announces Retirement

November 10, 2015

Monday Nov. 9, Principal Maryanne Ricketts announced her retirement at a staff meeting after school. After 42 years in education and 37 years at Westside she feels this is the right time.

“It’s very difficult, this has been a home, where I’ve grown up, it’s been like a family,” Ricketts said. “I’ve worked with phenomenal people, from staff to students to parents and the community.”

Ricketts is thankful to everyone and plans to finish the rest of the school year. She will be here until June.

Ricketts is not counting down the days and will enjoy the time she has left here. Westside will always feel like home to her.

“I will always be involved with Westside,” Ricketts said. “I live in the district, my son graduated from Westside High School. It is a very important part of my life.”

It saddens Ricketts to leave Westside, but she looks forward to new possibilities in the future.

“There are some other things I’d like to do,” Ricketts said. “Like spend more time with my family. I’d like to try to live in Arizona part time of the year, and not have winter. I’m just ready.”

Ricketts says the new position for principal is fair game for employees at Westside, as well as external educators. Regardless, she believes the district will do an excellent job recruiting the new principal for next year.

She is grateful to everyone who made her time at Westside so memorable.

“Thank you to all the people who have given me opportunities and the wonderful experiences I’ve had at Westside,” Ricketts said. “It has been a journey, it truly has.”