The new Red Shield banner that will be put up in the main gym for games.

Red Shield getting new tools for game nights

September 25, 2015

Since it’s inception two years ago, Red Shield has been committed to creating the biggest, loudest and most consistent student section possible. This year, seniors Sam Frankel, PJ Nieto, Brett Robinson and Jake Milliti are in charge of the club, and are bringing fresh changes to help achieve their mission.

“More or less, [the goal] is to be more friendly with underclassmen as seniors,” Nieto said. “That’s really been how we’ve tried to expand Red Shield and make it different than the prior years is to make that connection.”

Along with those changes, Red Shield has also gotten some new equipment. The biggest pieces are two new banners. One is primarily to hang up in the gym or at football tailgates and is the banner in the featured image of this story. This banner was gained through the sales of retro basketball jerseys where the club made $450 in under 30 minutes. While the gym banner was a quick one to get after the jersey sales, the banner for football games is a whole other monster. The banner is so big, the companies that could make it wouldn’t have had it ready until the end of the football season. To make it in time, Red Shield had to get creative.

“The big banner was all Mrs. Hughes, Chrisi Hughes,” Nieto said. “[…] Surprisingly it only took her about two weeks to put it all together. It’ll cover about half the student section.”

Thanks to Hughes, the banner is ready for tonight, but since the banner is so big, Nieto hasn’t been able to get a picture yet. If you can’t make it to the game, Wired will get plenty of shots, along with all the other homecoming festivities for the weekend.