The Carriage House is the home of the Westside Food Bank. The building is located on the north side of the west (senior) parking lot.

Westside DECA Contributes to Charity

September 18, 2015

After the Senior win at the Powderbuff game this past Wednesday, Sept. 16., there was a lot of excitement for the upcoming week. The girls football Powderpuff game, is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 24 and tension is rising.

Although both are unique ways for students to have fun and bond with each other, there is another reason behind the activities. DECA, and their canned food donations from each game, are substantial supporters and providers for the Westside food bank.

The food bank is located in the Carriage House north of the senior lot. The food is supplied for families in the Westside district. It has proved useful for numerous families to support themselves, which is why the school hosts fundraisers to support it. Along with canned food, Westside DECA donates perishables and gift cards toward the same cause.

“A few years ago a social worker told us that there was a shortage of food in the food bank; ever since then, we’ve made it our deal,” marketing instructor Sarah Schau said. “We saw that there was a need, so we went from there.”

For students to participate in Powderpuff and Powderbuff, three items must be donated along with other expenses. To attend games students need to bring three items too, which has added up. In previous years, more than 12 large boxes of food had been collected from these events.