UPDATE: Classes at Westside High School Cancelled Again for Extra Clean-up

August 18, 2015

As many are aware of, school was cancelled, Aug. 18, due to flooding.

Throughout the morning maintenance crews worked to clean up leakage on the carpets and tile floors while principal Maryanne Ricketts and other administrators continued to search for the source of the problem. There is water damage all throughout the building; rain has soaked through carpets, ruined textbooks and torn up ceiling tiles from the first to the third floor.

“It’s just an unfortunate situation,” Ricketts said. “Right now our main emphasis is to get the building cleaned.”

Roofers plan to inspect the roof to check for any damage. Meanwhile, maintenance crews will continue to work on getting rid of every mess they possibly can. Heavy traffic areas in the building such as those near the main gym have the most rain damage; areas like the tech center and the band locker room have remained dry and water-free.

“We have never had to close the building because of rain, but there were safety reasons,” said Ricketts. “The carpets and tiles get slick and if everybody is out here, the staff can’t clean.”

With crews still working to clean up the damages of the heavy rainfall, classes at Westside High School have once again been cancelled Wednesday Aug. 19. Administration will try to get the schedule moving forward.

“The plan is to start school as soon as possible,” Ricketts said.

Follow @westsidewired on Twitter or check the website for more updates to come!