Westside prepares to give out teacher of the year award

April 27, 2015

As the 2014-2015 rapidly comes to a close, the Lundquist Award for Excellence in Teaching will soon be presented to another worthy teacher. According to the person in charge of the award, Elizabeth Tape, the award should recognize a teacher who has gone above and beyond in the classroom to help their students and make a difference in their lives. The award itself is named after Richard Lundquist, a guidance department chair for several years.

This year will be the tenth year the award has been in existence, after being created by Samuel Tape in 2005 as a Senior Project. Last year’s winner, chemistry teacher Mike Fauss felt very humbled about receiving the award.

“I get very nervous about those things,” Fauss said. “There are a hundred other teachers here who deserve [the award] more than I do in my mind, so it’s very humbling but I’m excited.”

Winners of the award those who have certain traits such as: being friendly towards students, being well organized, inspiring, and enthusiastic among others. Each trait itself was based on research from Samuel Tape and Dr. William Buskist of Auburn University.

“Nominating students are asked to use three to five of these characteristics as prompts for their comments,” Tape said. “Although anything a student might care to say about a teacher is welcome.”

The decisions by the students is a main reason the award is so special to teachers.

“The nice thing about that award is it’s done by the kids,” Fauss said. “It’s what the kids feel is best…so it’s a good feeling when the kids appreciate what you do.”

This week students are invited to nominate teachers for the Lundquist Award via an online survey. The winning teacher will receive a $500 cash stipend, as funded by Samuel Tape’s grandparents Susanna and Tzvee Harris.

To nominate a teacher for the award please click here.