Student receives recognition for designs in Omaha Fashion Week

April 20, 2015

From sewing machines and seams to lights and cameras, senior Chris DiGiorgio shows his love for fashion. The clothing collection he designed in February and early March recently debuted at Omaha Fashion Week’s student night, where DiGiorgio was named Best in Show.

Omaha Fashion Week’s Spring show, which ran from March 10 to 15, is an event filled with fashion from designers around the area. A section of the week is dedicated to students and their designs. During that portion, Digiorgio won a $500 award for his fashion designs. He designed and created his own clothing collection to present along with 30 other students in the area.

“I felt like I deserved it but at the same time I was in awe,” DiGiorgio said. “I never thought that anyone would really recognize me for any of my fashion.

DiGiorgio’s interest in design began at a young age; he always had an interest in clothes and pop culture. During his sophomore year, it occurred to him that if he wanted to make a career in fashion he needed to start applying himself to it. He began taking fashion classes and bought a sewing machine off Craigslist. After investing time outside of school into the hobby, it began to evolve into more.

DiDiorgio’s fashion interest earned him acceptance to the Kent Bellows Mentoring Program. Kent Bellows’s art studio is an area for young artists to learn and practice their artistic skills. The studio provides free mentoring, supplies and studio space for local artists. DiGiorgio debuted a collection of clothing items at a Kent Bellows Mentoring Program art showcase. Here, DiGiorgio met an Omaha Fashion Week representative who encouraged him to apply for a spot in the show.

“An Omaha Fashion Week representative came and told me I should apply and come show [his work] in the show. They only wanted me to show one look but I went all out and blew them away.”

To prepare for the show, DiGiorgio spent time perfecting all the garments. After model castings and touch-ups, everything was ready.

“Going into [the competition], I was just doing it for me, I wanted to get my name out there” DiGiorgio said. “I [didn’t] care if I [won], but after seeing everyone else’s designs, it was evident to me that I had put in way more work — months more of work.”

After winning the show, DiGiorgio is still pursuing his interest in fashion; this weekend he is going to Chicago to an Industrial Textile Outlet where a mentor recommended him to go. He is also attending a meeting with Omaha Fashion Week this Thursday concerning showing his work in the summer show.

Regarding the future, DiGiorgio plans on attending a four-year university for fashion design. His plan consists of studying for a double major in fashion design and fashion merchandising; his sights are set on a fashion institute in New York.