Junior Orlando Crawford dances on the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge in Omaha. Crawford first got into competitive dancing hi freshman year. Photo by Jon Bass

Student finds identity and gives back through dance

November 18, 2014

Dancing comes in a thousand varieties and styles. One Westside junior has found an incredible talent in dancing and he has been constantly honing his skills for all of high school, even on his walks to school (check out the video above to see him dancing his way to school).

Crawford first found his interest in dance the summer before his freshman year.

“I got started dancing when I went with my uncle to a competition in Omaha called The United Movement,” Crawford said. “My uncle had taught me some things about dancing here and there, so he took me with him.”

Crawford was coincidentally matched up with his uncle in the first round, losing but the experience was what initially got him into it.

“I had a lot of fun with it,” Crawford said. “This is where I first really gained passion for dance.”

Following the first competition against his uncle, Crawford spent the next two years learning more from his uncle, using a mirror to practice to grow his skills. After a few years of work, Crawford dances with skill and flow almost effortlessly.

Now, as a junior, Crawford has hit a turning point with his dancing; he is beginning to focus more on competing and winning with dance.

“This year, I’ve started working with famous dancers like Pandora and Green Tech,” Crawford said.

He worked with these, and more dancers trying to improve, traveling to places in Kansas and Missouri to take camps and compete. As far as Crawford has come, he thinks he’s only on the cusp of his dancing potential.

“At this stage, I’m just getting good,” Crawford said. “I’ve won a few competitions. I still don’t think I’m where I could be. I know I have a lot of room to grow and practice. “

While his experience in competitions is relatively early, Crawford already has his sights set on the top of the dance world.

“I would love to be an international dancer,” Crawford said. “Places like Korea and Paris are where all the biggest competitions are.”

Crawford knows this will be hard work.

“I have to keep training, for one,” Crawford said. “ I have to learn other styles and combine them together. This will allow me to win more competitions, and it’s all a cycle.”

The more competitions Crawford competes in, the bigger his reputation will become, which will help his dancing career.

Aside from his individual dancing, Crawford is working on improving his group dancing. Working with others adds a new perspective to dance.

“A lot of it is teamwork,” Crawford said. “When you’re dancing and you have a team, you have to trust each other. Creating bonds and trust are important.”

Even though Crawford’s aspirations are goal-oriented, he doesn’t forget why he loves what he does.

“It’s because I can be free in what I do,” Crawford said. “I can be creative in my own way. Most importantly, it is a great way to find a family and be a part of something.”