Volleyball opens district play

October 25, 2022

The volleyball team is headed to Districts, after losing to top-ranked Papillion LaVista South in the finals of the Metro tournament.

With a lot of injuries in the season the Warriors have been able to combat those injuries and recover and be able to play during the Metro and upcoming District tournaments.

After being told four to six weeks recovery time Isabella Lamb was back on the court during Metro tourney. Another piece to the puzzle is Kensington TeKrony, who has been out for a good part of the season and she came back to play in the Metro championship match. 

Head coach Korrine Bowers is excited to have Kensington back on the court. 

“Tonight we saw Kenzie come out during the third set, we rebounded, KT [Kensington TeKrony] brought a lot of energy to the court and we looked really good,” said Bowers. 

Westside will take a 26-8 record into the postseason. The Warrior are ranked third in the Class A top ten by the Omaha World-Heralds. Westside had some stellar passing against their opponents during the Metro tournament 

“Our defense was stellar tonight. We are really starting to play together as a team, especially with some of our injured players coming back,” Bowers said. 

The Warrior team is reforming and getting ready for Districts. Westside will open the tournament on Tuesday, Oct. 25, when they host Lincoln High.

“We are very comfortable for Districts, knowing that we are giving the girls a practice off then going back so practice over the weekend,” Bowers said.

The Warriors are going to need players to step up and challenge each other of who is going to take on the right side role.

“With a challenging next two weeks we need someone who is going to break through,” Bowers said.

Last year Westside won the District title and made it all the way to the semi-finals of the state tournament. With a spotlight on The Warriors they are wanting to keep fighting to grow their legacy as a team and to get a championship banner up in the main gym. 

“We have a spotlight in the gym and we put the spotlight up there because we are trying to make a legacy,” Bowers said. 

The Warriors will take on Lincoln High tonight at 6 p.m. to start out District play. If Westside wins their sem-final, they will host the District final on Wednesday.