Girls golf team ready for districts

October 3, 2022

The Westside girls golf team competed in the Metro Conference Tournament on Tuesday, Sept. 27 at Elmwood Park and finished in sixth place. Junior Carly Bea Brown fired an 80 to finish in fifth place and junior Ava Robino tied at 15th, after  shooting a round of 85. 

After a difficult start, Brown managed to come back and finish in fifth. Brown explained how she had to finish strong in order to come back.

“ [I] played okay. My putting wasn’t my best, but everything else was pretty good,” Brown said. ” I was struggling with my putting but overall, my drives kind of made up for it.”

Westside head Coach Jered Hellman was pleased with the team’s ability to pick it up after a rocky start.

“You know, the girls they battled really hard today. The greens were slick and they were fast. We had some big numbers, but they bounced back,.” Hellman said, “They composed themselves and we finished really strong and we had some girls step up today. ”

This is a critical week for the Warriors with a trip to the state tournament on the line. Brown is going into Districts with a positive mindset. 

“Yeah, I think I just need to bring my best game there. And I think our team does too,” Brown said. “We’re sitting at the three seed so we should make it to the tournament but that’s our hope. The end goal is to make it to state.”

Coach Hellman also detailed what he believes will be necessary for the team’s success at the District tournament. 

“We’re in a good spot. We’re in a tough spot. We are the third seed in our District at Norfolk. We’ll play on Tuesday at the Fair Play golf course. We’ll play a practice round on Monday,” Hellman said.  “We have Lincoln East ahead of us and Papio South ahead of us and Norfolk is right behind us and it’s their home course. So we’re gonna have to play well to secure one of those top three spots and make it to state.”

The Westside golf team will try to qualify for the State tournament, when they compete in the Class A District tournament on Tuesday, Oct. 4 at the Fair Play golf course in Norfolk.